Harvey Weinstein sacked after sexual harassment claims

Harvey Weinstein, the film producer accused of sexually harassing female employees for nearly three decades, has been fired by the board of his company. The Weinstein Company directors said that “in light of new information about misconduct”, they had terminated Mr Weinstein’s employment “effective immediately”...


Harvey Weinstein, the film producer accused of sexually harassing female employees for nearly three decades, has been fired by the board of his company.

The Weinstein Company directors said that “in light of new information about misconduct”, they had terminated Mr Weinstein’s employment “effective immediately”.

The statement was issued on Sunday by Robert Weinstein, Lance Maerov, Richard Koenigsberg and Tarak Ben Ammar.

Mr Weinstein had been informed.

The Miramax and Weinstein Company co-founder has produced a number of Oscar-winning films, including Shakespeare in Love, The King’s Speech and The Artist.

Following a New York Times report about the harassment claims, the 65-year-old apologised and said he planned to take a leave of absence.

“The way I’ve behaved with colleagues in the past has caused a lot of pain, and I sincerely apologise for it,” Mr Weinstein said.

However, he later disputed the report, which said he had reached at least eight settlements with women, and vowed to take legal action.

Last week Weinstein’s lawyer, Lisa Bloom, said that he denied many of the allegations made against him as “patently false”.

“He has acknowledged mistakes he has made,” said Ms Bloom. “He is reading books and going to therapy. He is an old dinosaur learning new ways.”

But on Saturday, Ms Bloom said in a tweet that she was no longer advising Mr Weinstein.

“I have resigned as an advisor to Harvey Weinstein,” the tweet said. “My understanding is that Mr Weinstein and his board are moving to an agreement.”

Speaking up
Mr Weinstein is one of the most powerful men in Hollywood.

The allegations against him, according to the New York Times report, emerged mainly from young women hoping to break into the film industry and included celebrities Ashley Judd and Rose McGowan.

The accusers said the film producer forced them to massage him and watch him naked; in return for sexual favours, he promised to help advance their careers, they said.

Source: BBC



Related Posts

I won’t sign unto Sarkcess label – Awal

Ban telenovelas – Christiana Awuni

“Justin Bieber impostor” on 931 child sex-related charges

Miss ‘Ghana Sixty Years On’ organisers call on Akufo-Addo

Work more, talk less: Bisa Kdei urges artistes

Ed Sheeran's 'Divide' has a billion YouTube views less than a week after its release

Chris Brown reveals the story behind canceling his fight with Soulja Boy

Bruno Mars ‘Honoured’ to receive iHeartRadio Music Awards’ Innovator Award

Leave a reply
your email address will not be published

Featured Posts

Man Utd to sign Fred this week


KelniGVG selected out of 10 bids – Ursula


Retract, apologise or I sue: Mac Manu to GPHA union chair


I won’t sign unto Sarkcess label – Awal


Facebook scraps custom reaction buttom, including the rainbow pride flag


BECE starts today


22 CSOs request details of $89 KelniGVG deal


KelniGVG selected out of 10 bids – Ursula


I won’t sign unto Sarkcess label – Awal


Facebook scraps custom reaction buttom, including the rainbow pride flag


22 CSOs request details of $89 KelniGVG deal


Facebook scraps custom reaction buttom, including the rainbow pride flag


BECE starts today


BECE starts today