More in this category
An Accra Circuit Court presided over by Justice Aboagye Tandoh, has sentenced Prince Osei and Atta Kojo to 30 months imprisonment each for their role in the Kwabenya cell break that led to the shooting and killing of one police officer.
The two were convicted based on their own plea and expected to run concurrently.
According to the court, habeas corpus would have been expected but for clemency pleaded for and on behalf of the accused by Counsel George Asumani who acted as a friend to the court.
Touching on the bail application mooted by counsels for the remaining suspects, the court said it was giving the prosecutor, Superintendent Kweku Bempah, the last opportunity to conclude his investigations on the matter to enable the court proceed on the merit of the case and further adjourned the matter to February 26.
Earlier in court, counsel for the 4th accused person, Nancy Dentaah, who was perceived to have aided the suspects to escape from lawful custody said, his client is an entrepreneur and a mother of a 6-year-old boy who cannot in anyway assist in such a criminal act.
Bernard Wiredu, further prayed the court to admit his client to bail to enable her take care of her son who has been longing to see his mother.
Although he concedes that, humanitarian reasons are not for a grant of bail without recourse to the law, he pleaded for clemency with the firm conviction that, his client cannot run away from any charges that will be levelled against her.
Again counsel for the 10 and 12 accused persons told the court that his clients were wrongfully arrested by the police after Atta Kojo, the second accused person who has now been slapped with 30 months imprisonment pointed a rented house in Kasoa in which the accused stays hence his arrest by the police.
He again told the court that his clients are gainfully employed with one of the leading super markets and would not engage in such an act. Making further statement he told the court that one of his clients is still recovering from a surgery of the throat but the court rejected that assertion with the view that, all the suspects are on the same scale.
The court has since refused to grant the bail application mooted by the 10 other suspects and has adjourned the matter to February 26.