AngloGold/Independence JV to proceed with Tropicana expansion

Joint venture partners AngloGold Ashanti and Independence Group have approved a $79.3-million investment to develop the Boston Shaker underground project, at the Tropicana goldmine, in Western Australia...


Joint venture partners AngloGold Ashanti and Independence Group have approved a $79.3-million investment to develop the Boston Shaker underground project, at the Tropicana goldmine, in Western Australia.

The ore from the underground mine would enable Tropicana production to be maintained at between 450 000 oz/y and 500 000 oz/y over the next five years, and would increase the average to 480 000 oz/y over the period.

The Boston Shaker project is expected to contribute higher-grade mill feed, resulting in an improved gold production profile and enhanced cash flow. AngloGold Ashanti told shareholders that the underground operation would provide improved cash flow during 2021 to 2023, when the mine plan included periods of higher waste stripping at the Havana openpit operation.

“Underground mining at Boston Shaker will leverage further value from this high performing operation, achieving pay-back in just over three years,” said AngloGold Ashanti CEO for international operations, Ludwig Eybers.

“An ongoing focus on operational excellence has enabled Tropicana to consistently exceed expectations and I’m sure this world-class performance will extend to the underground operation.”

Independence MD Peter Bradford said on Thursday that the Boston Shaker underground development was an important step in the continuing value enhancement at the Tropicana mine, which remains one of the lowest cost gold operations of scale in Australia.

“This is an exciting opportunity, with the Boston Shaker underground expected to deliver improved grades and production profile at Tropicana from 2021 for a modest capital investment.”

The project is expected to start in the June quarter of this year, with first gold scheduled for the September quarter of 2020.

AngloGold Ashanti said on Thursday that the expanded ore production from the underground mine will capitalise on investments made at the Tropicana processing plant, which included a second ball mill, which was commissioned in November last year, and which had increased throughput capacity to 8.1-million tonnes a year.

The Boston Shaker underground operation is expected to be mined at a rate of about 1.1-million tonnes a year over an eight-year mine life, to 2026, and will produce some 732 000 oz of gold.

Mining services provider Macmahon Holdings has been issued with a notice of award for the development of the new underground mine. The Tropicana project is already Macmahon’s largest mining contract in Australia.


Source: Miningweekly.com



Related Posts

Man gets tens of thousands of birthday calls after sons post his phone number on billboards

Ghana may auction Eurobonds with or without final IMF review

Judge questions 1-yr delay in prosecuting man who set 11-yr-old boy ablaze

Muntari joins Spanish side Albacete on one-year deal

Woman lives with plastic pill packaging lodged in her throat for 17 days

Dumsor back, admit it, publish timetable – NDC to govt

Just turn on the lights and stop daily stories – Buah

3rd West Africa Construction Awards gathers momentum

Leave a reply
your email address will not be published

Featured Posts

Referees still not “normalised” – Aduana Stars coach


Just turn on the lights and stop daily stories – Buah


Dumsor back, admit it, publish timetable – NDC to govt


Rapper Nipsey Hussle shot dead in LA


Tinder says it's introducing height verification. If only.


Archbishop Porter: 60 food-poisoned students discharged


Dumsor back, admit it, publish timetable – NDC to govt


Just turn on the lights and stop daily stories – Buah


Rapper Nipsey Hussle shot dead in LA


Tinder says it's introducing height verification. If only.


Dumsor back, admit it, publish timetable – NDC to govt


Tinder says it's introducing height verification. If only.


Archbishop Porter: 60 food-poisoned students discharged


Archbishop Porter: 60 food-poisoned students discharged