By Classfmonline.com on 2019-04-29 12:27:52
a. Minister’s statement:Questioned the valuation of the field at $30 billion @ $65 per barrel by 450 million barrels; "exposes the weaknesses in IMANI’s analyses as well as its poor understanding of petroleum economics...
a. Minister’s statement:Questioned the valuation of the field at $30 billion @ $65 per barrel by 450 million barrels; "exposes the weaknesses in IMANI’s analyses as well as its poor understanding of petroleum economics." Why? The 450 million boe are gross contingent resources (cannot be fully recovered) and besides, in Ghana, our average crude oil recovery rate is 25%. At this rate, the field value will be estimated at $7.3 billion assuming a price of $65 per barrel.
That’s not factually accurate!
b. IMANI’s statement: based on Aker’s recoverable reserve estimates as provided on their website. Consistent “the biggest oil find in Africa, of 450-550 million barrels, with potential recoverable reserves of nearly one billion barrels.” At today’s Oil price of $65per barrel, that field is worth at least $30 billion (bn).
c. Aker’s statement: earlier statement on both 4 March and 10 January 2019 as part of ongoing four well appraisal campaign states that “the existing discoveries are estimated to contain gross contingent resources (2C) of 450 – 550 million barrels of oil equivalent (mmboe) with upside of between 600 – 1,000 mmboe”.
i. However, new press release on 26 April 2019 announcing the completion of the drilling campaign states that “Reserves, to be developed in the first phase, are estimated at 334 million barrels of oil.Discovered contingent resources, to be developed in subsequent phases, are estimated at 110-210 mmboe, resulting in a combined volume base of approximately 450–550 mmboe. These estimates exclude any additional volumes from Pecan South and Pecan South East, currently being assessed.” See latest press release of April 26 @ https://www.akerenergy.com/…/aker-energy-completes-appraisa…
Essentially the 30bn valuation is right going by Aker's much clearer statement of 334 million barrels of reserves on April 26.
1. The Minister is confusing prospective resources with contingent resources.
2. Contingent resources are already deemed to be recoverable by the working interest owner.
3. We are concerned with the evaluation of the whole resource not the resource value from the point of view of Aker so we DON'T NEED to factor in the working interest of any party. Again, the minister is completely at sea. The total contingent resources give rise to the valuation.
4. Because in Ghana we assume that once a company has committed to the Plàn Of Development they will make every investment to continue developing the field even if the price of oil falls to zero and a hurricane destroys their FPSO we don't typically put much store on "probability of development". Hence all the valuation estimates are always "unrisked".
5. Assuming, as per standard practice in Ghana, that the gross contingent resources are unrisked leaves the volumetric model for valuing the resource intact at gross contingent resources which is simply the indicated volume multiplied by a reasonable oil price value. In a ballpark valuation analysis, spot price is fine.
6. IMANI's position is sensible.
By : IMANI
Bawumia’s full EMT town hall speech
Man gets tens of thousands of birthday calls after sons post his phone number on billboards
Ghana may auction Eurobonds with or without final IMF review
Judge questions 1-yr delay in prosecuting man who set 11-yr-old boy ablaze
Muntari joins Spanish side Albacete on one-year deal
BIMA launches novel, innovative products
Chicken and eggs top list of causes for foodborne outbreaks
That thing that journalists never talk about
Leave a reply
your email address will not be published
Messi scores sensational free-kick as late Barcelona goals stun Liverpool
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 08:33:22
1Q 2019: Golden Star’s gold production dip 8%
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 09:35:45
Ghana Beyond Aid: We’ll march boldly from poverty to prosperity – Akufo-Addo
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-01 14:45:33
Billboard Music Awards: Drake breaks record for number of prizes
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 08:36:55
The growing threat to Mark Zuckerberg's power
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 08:41:58
New teachers to strike May 11
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 08:48:56
GNAT condemns ICU-TUC May Day fracas
By Classfmonline.com on 2019-05-02 09:59:40
No.147 Roman Ridge,
Accra - Ghana.
Subscribe to our mailing list
We would never send you spam