Two kidnapped Canadians rescued

The two Canadian women kidnapped over a week ago in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, have been rescued by Ghana's National Security operatives, ClassFMonline.com can confirm...


The two Canadian women kidnapped over a week ago in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, have been rescued by Ghana's National Security operatives, ClassFMonline.com can confirm.

They were freed in the early hours of Wednesday, 12 June 2019 at Sawaba, Kumasi.

They are safe and sound.

Lauren Patricia Catherine Tilley, 19; and Bailey Jordan Chitly, 20; were not abused in any way, sources say.

It is not yet clear how they were rescued but the security authorities have picked up two suspects for questioning while two others are on the run.

A statement issued by the Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, said: “Details of the operation and ongoing efforts to ensure that similar incidents are successfully resolved will be made available in a subsequent press briefing scheduled for 15 GMT today.”

The statement assured all Ghanaian citizens and foreigners that “Ghana remains safe”.

The kidnapping of the Canadians in Kumasi followed another kidnapping incident in the same city involving an Indian businessman, who fought his attackers and fled to safety with the help of the local police.

Also, in Ghana’s oil-rich city of Takoradi, Western Region, three Ghanaian ladies have been kidnapped since August last year and have still not been found.

They are 18-year-old Priscilla Mantebea Koranchie, last seen on 21 December 2018; 21-year-old Priscilla Blessing Bentum, last seen on 17 August 2018; and 18-year-old Ruth Love Quayson, last seen on 4 December 2018.

The Director-General of Ghana’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID), COP Maame Yaa Tiwaa Addo-Danquah told the media a couple of months ago that they security agencies knew the whereabouts of the girls and were working to rescue them.

After a month of making that statement, she made a U-turn, saying she only made the comment to give hope to the Ghana Police Service as far as finding the girls is concerned.

The families of the three girls have held several demonstrations and filed several petitions to the presidency and security agencies to no avail.



Source: Ghana/ClassFMonline.com/91.3FM



Related Posts

Bawumia’s full EMT town hall speech

Man gets tens of thousands of birthday calls after sons post his phone number on billboards

Ghana may auction Eurobonds with or without final IMF review

Judge questions 1-yr delay in prosecuting man who set 11-yr-old boy ablaze

Muntari joins Spanish side Albacete on one-year deal

In the Netherlands sitting on a pole for hours on end is a competitive Sport

Facebook to launch news tab this fall

Liverpool beat Norwich 4-1 in EPL opener

Leave a reply
your email address will not be published

Featured Posts

Liverpool beat Norwich 4-1 in EPL opener


Ghana Manganese Company ordered to resume operations


“Ghana-Angola relations put on a new level” – Akufo-Addo


Cuba Gooding Jr to face trial over 'grope'


Facebook to launch news tab this fall


Support open & distance learning universities – Alabi


Apologise for disrespecting women – Catholic Bishops to Badu Kobi


Ghana Manganese Company ordered to resume operations


Cuba Gooding Jr to face trial over 'grope'


Facebook to launch news tab this fall


Apologise for disrespecting women – Catholic Bishops to Badu Kobi


Facebook to launch news tab this fall


Support open & distance learning universities – Alabi


Support open & distance learning universities – Alabi