Friday, 20 February

Family demands justice as baby's sick after Mamprobi Polyclinic theft incident

News
Gender Minister Lomo Lartey handing the recovered baby to his son

The family of a baby allegedly stolen from Mamprobi Polyclinic in Accra is calling for the prosecution of the suspect, identified by police as Latifa Salifu, following the child’s recovery.

The incident, which occurred earlier this week, sparked fear among residents after reports emerged that a woman posed as a patient to take the newborn.

The baby has been reunited with its mother but has developed infections, according to relatives, who insist the suspect must face justice to deter similar crimes.

The father of the recovered baby, Mohammed Agyekum, expressed gratitude to the Gender Minister, Dr Agnes Naa Momo Lartey for her support.

“We are grateful to the gender minister for showing concern and supporting us through this difficult time. Her intervention has helped bring attention to this case, and we truly appreciate it,” he said.

The baby's uncle, Mohammed Sackey, however, emphasised the need for justice.

“We want justice for this child. The suspect must be prosecuted so this will not happen to any other family again. The baby has suffered, and we don’t want this case to end without punishment,” he said.

The Member of Parliament (MP) for Odododiodio Constituency, Nii Lantey Kotey Ashie, agreed, and called for tighter security at health facilities.

“This is very unfortunate and should not happen at our health facilities. I will make a statement on the floor of Parliament to ensure that a full investigation is conducted, and measures are put in place to prevent this from happening again. The family deserves justice,” he said.

Police had indicated suspect Latifa Salifu will appear before a judge over the incident.

In the meantime, investigations are ongoing as authorities work to identify any accomplices and determine how she left the facility with the baby. 

Source: classfmonline.com