Monday, 16 September

Kidnapping of Canadians: 5 Ghanaians, 3 Nigerians arrested

General News
Eight suspects have been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of two Canadian ladies in Kumasi, Ashanti Region, Ghana, who were rescued by national security operatives in collaboration with other security agencies.

The suspects are made up of five Ghanaians and three Nigerians, Information Minister Kojo Oppong Nkrumah told journalists on Wednesday, 12 June 2019.

Mr Nkrumah also denied claims that the government of Ghana received support from the Canadian government in rescuing Ms Lauren Patricia Catherine Tilley, 19; and Bailey Jordan Chitty, 20.

He said: “There was no support from foreigners in rescuing the girls.”

“The operation involved the CID of the Ghana Police Service, the Bureau of National Investigations, the Special Weapons and Tactics Unit of the National Security Council and the Defence Intelligence. No foreign assets were involved in the operation.”

He further cautioned the general public to be measured in their public utterances on the matter, since the police are still searching for the perpetrators of the other kidnapping cases.

“We should be measured in our public utterances in this development because the security is embarking on an exercise to rescue the others who had been kidnapped. If we go public on this, it will rather forearm the perpetrators of this heinous crime.

"We should be circumspect on our reportage in order not to compromise the intelligence gathering."

Mr Oppong Nkrumah also said no ransom whatsoever was paid to the kidnappers by the government of Ghana or the security agencies.

The two Canadian women were freed in the early hours of Wednesday, 12 June 2019 at Sawaba, Kumasi.

They are safe and sound.

They were not abused in any way.


Source: Ghana/ClassFMonline.com/91.3FM

Source: Patrick Ayumu