Monday, 16 February

Cobby Mensah alleges political witch-hunt, accuses Ablekuma West MCE and MP of targeting his business

Politics
Former Parliamentary Candidate for Ablekuma West Cobby Mensah

Former Parliamentary Candidate for Ablekuma West Cobby Mensah has publicly accused the Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Hon. George Kpakpo Allotey, and the Member of Parliament for Ablekuma West, Hon. Kweku Addo, of orchestrating what he describes as a political witch-hunt aimed at destroying his business.

Speaking to the media, Hon. Mensah expressed deep frustration over what he believes is unfair treatment from members of his own political party, the National Democratic Congress (NDC), despite what he describes as years of loyalty and financial support.

According to him, he has consistently supported the party and its candidates on various political platforms and contributed resources toward its growth. He said he therefore finds it difficult to understand why his businesses are allegedly being targeted following the party’s return to power.

Mensah claimed that individuals allegedly associated with certain political actors confronted him at his premises and warned him to stay away from matters concerning some government property. He further alleged that he has received several threats, which he reported to the party’s constituency chairman and other senior figures within the party hierarchy, but no action was taken.

He recounted reaching out to some national executives of the NDC in an attempt to resolve the issue internally, but all efforts, he said, proved unsuccessful.

The former parliamentary candidate also alleged that the Municipal Assembly recently demolished some structures belonging to him. He described the move as deliberate and politically motivated, insisting that it was part of a broader attempt to intimidate and sideline him because he is perceived as a potential contender in future parliamentary primaries.

Mensah has therefore issued an ultimatum to the party leadership, demanding that the matter be addressed by Friday, failing which he says he will declare his next course of action.

However, responding to the allegations in an earlier engagement with the media, Hon. George Kpakpo Allotey denied any wrongdoing. He maintained that the demolitions carried out by the Assembly were lawful exercises targeting unauthorized structures whose owners had been duly served prior notice.

According to the MCE, the exercise was not politically motivated but formed part of routine enforcement to ensure compliance with municipal regulations.

Source: classfmonline.com/Gordon Sackitey