Germany says it saw fewer security problems than expected during Euro 2024

German authorities had fewer security problems and crimes to deal with than they expected at the European Championship, the country's top security official said Monday.
The tournament ended on Sunday with Spain beating England 2-1 in the final in Berlin and no reports of serious disturbances. That capped a month-long event that mostly saw only isolated and relatively minor incidents, a contrast with violence at some past tournaments.
Germany's Interior Ministry said that about 2.6 million people attended matches in the 10 host cities, and another 6 million watched games in the designated fan zones.
Over the course of the tournament, it said, there were a total of about 170 arrests and 320 temporary detentions. Police recorded about 2,340 offenses linked to the tournament, including some 700 involving bodily harm and 120 thefts. There were about 140 cases involving violence against police officers.
Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said the country had been “prepared for all conceivable dangers from Islamist terrorism, through hooligan violence to cyberattacks and dangerous drone flights.”
“There were significantly fewer security incidents and offenses than our security authorities had expected beforehand at an event with millions of people,” Faeser said in a statement. “Above all, the very high police presence across the country was decisive in this.”
Germany introduced temporary border controls at all its frontiers during Euro 2024, something that has become standard practice during such events in Europe's nominally ID check-free travel zone, the Schengen area. Those are due to run through Friday.
They will then be dropped at the borders with Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. However, the government is ordering checks on the border with France before and during the upcoming Olympic Games, and longer-standing checks on the eastern and southern borders with Poland, the Czech Republic, Austria and Switzerland that were motivated by concerns about migration will be kept in place.
Source: apnews.com
Trending Sports
Fenerbahce sacks Jose Mourinho after Champions League exit
13:42From farming village to Liverpool icon - the Salah story
13:17GFA assures UDS of support ahead of Sept's World Universities Soccer Championship in China
02:36GFA, CAF announce 4-day safe stadium workshop from Sept 16
01:452026 FIFA WC qualifiers: Black Stars to camp on Sept 1
15:41Wolves reject £55m Newcastle bid for Strand Larsen
13:45Sports Minister deepens partnership with YTB
10:58Otto Addo names 24-man squad for Chad- Mali WC qualifier
16:22Ghana's Rita N. Boateng to officiate CAF Women's Champions League WAFU Zone B Qualifier
20:57GFA, CID deepen commitment to stomping out match manipulation, illegal betting and hooliganism
20:57