GA/R: Police nab notorious landguards in Ashongman Estates raid

Residents of Ashongman Estates in the Ga East District of Greater Accra are hailing a major victory in their long-standing battle against landguard terror after a successful operation by the Ghana Police Service’s Anti-Landguard Unit led to the arrest of a dangerous gang.
On the morning of Thursday, July 3, 2025, the specialized unit, commanded by DSP Nafiu Shittu, launched a well-coordinated raid at the Bank of Ghana lands within the estate.
The operation, which followed intelligence gathered from persistent community complaints, resulted in the apprehension of ten landguards accused of intimidating landowners, destroying properties, and unlawfully claiming lands.
According to DSP Shittu, the suspects were part of an organized criminal network that had been operating with impunity for years.
The police named Yussif Touffik, Chief Ali Ibrahim, Abdul Wajeed, Seidu Issah, Graham Smith, Latiff Larry, Mohammed Omar, Emmanuel Mensah, Abdul Wallah, and Said Abdullai among those arrested.
They are currently in custody and face charges under the Vigilantism and Related Offences Act, 2019 (Act 999).
The gang was allegedly supported and encouraged by one Ussha Haruna, whose role in the broader scheme is now under investigation.
The land in question had been the subject of numerous legal battles.
Originally acquired through a government auction in 2014, its ownership had been twice confirmed by court rulings in 2010 and 2024.
Nonetheless, the landguards had persisted in harassing legitimate owners, demanding payments and threatening violence.
“This operation is part of a broader national effort to eliminate landguardism, restore peace, and protect property rights,” DSP Shittu said in an interview.
He reaffirmed the Ghana Police Service's commitment to safeguarding law-abiding citizens against land-related violence and fraud.
For many Ashongman residents, this marks the end of a nightmare.
“We finally feel protected,” said one resident who witnessed the arrests. “These men have destroyed homes and lives for far too long.”
The successful raid is being lauded as a model for future anti-landguard operations nationwide.
It also highlights the need for stronger community-police collaboration and further reforms in land administration and documentation processes
Source: Classfmonline.com/Cecil Mensah
Trending News
Gov’t to terminate and re-award Pwalugu dam contract – Agric Minister
10:35Youth unemployment remains alarming despite decline in overall joblessness – GSS
18:01Vice President Opoku-Agyemang pays historic visit to Ministry of Health
13:39Akwatia NDC executives call for unity ahead of September 2 by-election
07:15We need a leader who unites and not divides - Bawumia to NPP
14:02Gov’t moves to revoke mining regulations to bolster fight against galamsey
08:02BOST holds 2025 annual general meeting
15:42A/R: Fire destroys hundreds of shops at Suame-Anomagye market
13:06Razak Kojo Opoku: NPP never rejected Prof. Adu Boahen on tribal or religious grounds
07:04Police arrest man with pump action gun and cartridges at Akwatia
13:51