33-year-old woman remanded over Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft
Latifa Salifu, 33, has been remanded into custody by the Domestic Violence and Victims Support Unit Court in Accra over the alleged theft of a four-day-old baby from Mamprobi Polyclinic.
Latifa, a trader and mother of two, was charged with one count of child stealing.
Her plea was not taken as investigations are ongoing.
Chief Inspector Opoku Aniagyei, leading the prosecution, told the court, “We want the accused to be remanded to allow us to complete our investigations.”
Counsel for Latifa Salifu, Hamisu Muhammad, pleaded for bail.
“My client will not interfere with investigations and does not have the resources to abscond,” he argued.
He added that sureties were available.
The prosecution opposed bail, stating that police suspected the crime might involve a wider syndicate.
The court sided with the prosecutzion, ordering Latifa Salifu to remain in custody.
She is expected to reappear on March 4, 2026.
According to the prosecution, the baby’s mother delivered via caesarean section on Saturday, February 14, 2026, and was later referred to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.
On February 17, a woman allegedly posed as a nurse, inspected the baby, and later returned under the pretext of administering medication before taking the child.
The incident was reported to Mamprobi Police Station.
On February 18, a whistleblower alerted police that the suspect had been seen with the baby at Korle Bu, leading to Latifa Salifu’s arrest and the child’s recovery.
The prosecution said the accused allegedly admitted taking the baby under the pretext of administering medicine, and investigations are ongoing to determine if others were involved.
Source: classfmonline.com
Trending News

33-year-old woman remanded over Mamprobi Polyclinic baby theft
22:24
Works and Housing Minister assures public of action on water crisis
02:24
CDAG demands NPA revoke licenses of OMCs selling contaminated fuel
12:35
GH¢23bn cocoa road contracts deepened COCOBOD’s crisis -Roads Minister
17:56
NSA Board Chairman engages TEIN leadership at UNIMAC
14:11
GWL needs over ₵3.5bn to replace ageing pipelines
16:06
'Residents were siphoning fuel': GNFS explains circumstances behind deadly tanker fire on Accra–Nsawam highway
20:31
GFL Secretary General criticises NPP for cocoa sector decline
07:25
Parliament: Oppong Nkrumah suggestion sparks controversy over SONA guest list and inclusivity
20:12
Sefwi Wiaso MP urges cocoa farmers to remain calm amid global market shifts
02:15



